If timely negotiation and dispute resolution will mean the difference between a successful project and no project, the Adams and Reese Construction and Real Estate Litigation Team is ready to assist you.
Practicing as a regional team for developers and contractors in Texas and throughout the Gulf South region, Adams and Reese offers knowledge in real estate and construction transactions as well as economic development, governmental relations, energy, licensing and contractual disputes. Whether your current legal issue depends on a single community or spans several states, our attorneys help you move forward with knowledgeable, local representation.
Representation includes all types of real estate sales and acquisitions, secured transactions, property development, commercial leasing, and all other aspects of real property and related finance law. Our attorneys provide analysis, advice and counsel regarding the structuring of real estate transactions and related financing arrangements, including mortgage and other secured transactions. Adams and Reese also provides a full range of title insurance services. In Louisiana and Alabama these services are provided through the firm's wholly owned title insurance agencies, Adams and Reese Title, LLC doing business as St. Clair Title and Adams and Reese AL Title, L.L.C.
Your experience with Adams and Reese will likely begin through our general counsel to help you avoid litigation or to resolve a transaction or conflict efficiently. Our team includes attorneys with backgrounds in engineering and LEED certification. We have successfully represented clients before boards of licensing and other governmental entities.
When the potential cure is legislation, we will lobby on your behalf. The diversity of our work in several states has supported our efforts to contest or draft industry models that support a healthier climate for development. For example, we have been instrumental in representing the industry in the area of performance-based energy efficiency contracts in Louisiana.
Core Practice and Clients
Adams and Reese represents political subdivisions, municipalities, public utilities, developers, owners, buyers, sellers, lenders, architects, engineers, general contractors, and sub-contractors in construction and real estate matters and litigation. Our core services include, but are not limited to:
Commercial Leasing: negotiation and documentation of lease transactions and related documentation from both the landlord and tenant's perspective; representation of lenders in leasehold-secured transactions and other lending transactions involving leased property; landlord/tenant relationships, including lease default and eviction litigation.
Licensing and Compliance: addressing regulatory requirements, liens and privileges, zoning, expropriations and industry permitting and licensing.
Legislative: lobbying and drafting of industry legislation in multiple states and providing proactive counsel to industry groups.
Litigation and ADR: including all aspects of alternative dispute resolution, litigation and appeal of license, zoning or breach of contract disputes; public bid protests, bankruptcy and workouts and efforts to block potentially harmful legislation.
Management and Operation of Commercial, Residential, Agricultural and Forestry Property: management of leased commercial and multi-family properties; establishment and operation of homeowners associations, condominium owners associations, and related management and operation of common elements; management and operation of agricultural properties and timberlands.
Planning and Negotiation: including all types of construction and real estate contracts, owner and corporate contracts, critical path scheduling, public bid and procurement, state and federal contracts, financing, surety and bonds.
Property Development and Construction: representation of developers and lenders in all aspects of the development of industrial, commercial and residential real property, such as zoning and land use issues; construction law and related lending and development issues; governmental approval for all types of real estate development; due diligence issues, including title, environmental, and survey issues.
Sales and Acquisitions: negotiation, documentation and closing of sales, acquisitions and related financing of commercial, industrial, forestry and agricultural properties. Other types of real estate transfers, including sale/leaseback transactions, tax free exchanges and donations.
Secured Transactions: representation of both lenders and borrowers in all types of secured transactions, including mortgage and deed of trust transactions, and construction and permanent financing; documentation of all types of secured transactions involving real property, including loan agreements, security agreements, and any and all other documentation related to such secured transactions, and the closing of such secured transactions; foreclosures and deeds in lieu of foreclosure.
The Adams and Reese Construction and Real Estate Litigation Practice Team focuses on providing seamless services for contracting projects from inception through financing, contract negotiation and dispute resolution.
- Assist in negotiation of all types of construction and real estate contracts.
- Identify practical legal solutions in various aspects of large scale projects.
- Utilize attorneys who are also engineers and trained in critical path scheduling.
- Prosecute, defend, and consult in all types of construction and real estate disputes in arbitration and/or mediation and at the local, state and federal court levels.
- Permitting and licensing for contractors and owners
- Public bid and procurement issues, including protests
- State and federal government contracts
- Real estate and development contracts
- Construction defects
- Delay and extra work claims
- Insurance surety and/or bond requirements and claims
- Miller Act Suits
- Regulatory compliance
- Liens and privileges
- Handled the expropriation for Phase 3 of the New Orleans Convention Center.
- Represents shipyard in numerous private and government vessel construction matters.
- Litigation over Louisiana Public Bid Law for a Siemens company.
- Litigation challenging the validity of performance-based energy contracts in Louisiana.
- Drafted legislation concerning performance-based energy contracts.
- Represented an Alabama insurer in $25 million dollar construction contract dispute.
- Represented a distributor of synthetic stucco homes in numerous construction mold litigation claims.
- Advice and consultation regarding bid protests under the Federal Acquisition Regulations before the United States General Accounting Office.
- Defending and asserting lien claims under the Louisiana Public Work Acts.
- Protesting of a building management system contract for additional expansion of a 1.1-million square foot convention center.
- Served as Regional Counsel representing a major retail client in connection with bond finance transactions.
- Represented contractor during the construction of a 35-story tower in downtown Mobile, Alabama.
- Resolved dispute for large manufacturing company through proceeding before the American Arbitration Association.
- Advised client and property manager concerning transactions and litigation issues pertaining to forest lands in the South.
- Currently involved with monitoring all welding fume litigation throughout the U.S. for one of the nation's largest distributors of industrial, medical and specialty gases.
- Represents modular home builder marketing their homes in Louisiana through Home Depot.
- Represents several office building owners in connection with routine and post Hurricane Katrina issues.
There are few construction and real estate issues we haven’t seen. When a practical solution is available, count on Adams and Reese to identify it and explain the cost/benefit. When it’s not, we’ll manage the complexity to help you resolve disputes and focus on your business.