Businesses and individuals engaged in all facets of the energy industry consult with Adams and Reese regularly for our team’s careful analysis, practical advice and extensive resources to address traditional and emerging energy legal issues. With our foundation in the oil and natural gas industry of the Gulf South region, Adams and Reese has developed a strong reputation for handling energy-related transactions, lobbying needs, compliance issues, and rights to new technologies and energy sources.
In addition, Adams and Reese supports the production, transportation, handling and storage of energy resources, as well as environmental regulatory, compliance, auditing and claims involving our clients related to environmental and toxic tort litigation and other personal or premises liability. Whether you represent a well-established U.S. concern or have energy investment or development interests, Adams and Reese can advise you on business strategy as well as legal rights and responsibilities.
A tradition of strong legal representation, governmental relations, and corporate and compliance experience sums up the Adams and Reese Energy Team. A number of our attorneys have spent their entire careers handling energy matters. Supporting them are similarly experienced teams from the environmental, maritime, insurance, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, real estate and public finance side. Adams and Reese offers a comprehensive legal strategy for handling your business.
Our attorneys also draw from a variety of science backgrounds and positions in government and state energy commissions, as well as those who have served as in-house counsel for multi-national energy concerns. On the litigation side, we offer substantial experience in handling complex and class action matters, together with appellate capabilities should the need arise. Our experience extends from land-based energy operations to the deepwater Gulf of Mexico. A number of our attorneys have earned recognition among their peers for their work representing energy companies, including Best Lawyers in America®, Super Lawyers® and Chambers USA.
Core Practice and Clients
Adams and Reese has an extensive and diversified practice in the oil and natural gas industry. In addition to serving the traditional needs of those involved in the domestic energy business and handling related environmental issues, we assist affected industries such as chemical processing and manufacturing, timber, shipping, construction, agriculture and real estate, and new energy sources like wind and biofuels, to name a few. Our core practice includes:
Transactions/Due Diligence: negotiating and drafting agreements for the exploration, development, acquisition and sale, marketing and financing of energy resources, both onshore and offshore; obtaining, interpreting and resolving issues identified in Phase I, II and III environmental site assessments; tax structuring and title examination.
Energy Regulation: counseling on compliance with all applicable federal, state and local energy and environmental regulations, including advice on the preparation and filing of permit applications and handling of contested and uncontested energy regulatory matters before state commissions, including OSHA. We also advise on a variety of non-compliance concerns or issues — from defense before enforcement agencies to audit programs and health and safety program development.
Energy Transportation and Handling: including pipeline permitting, rights of way and easements, condemnation and expropriation, transportation, processing and production handling agreements, swaps, hedges and derivative contracts.
Litigation: providing assertive counsel for mass tort and complex or class action litigation, as well as an experienced appellate team for a variety of energy and environmental cases.
Oil and Gas: providing legal services for exploration and production, as well as marine transportation, in the Gulf of Mexico and adjoining inland waterways. We represent and counsel companies and their underwriters, who are exposed to risks ranging from traditional “blue water” shipping, personal injury, cargo, longshore and towage operations, to “brown water” oil and gas activities involving the exploration, development, production and transportation of oil and gas. Our attorneys have experience in oil pollution; charter parties; oil well liens; cargo claims; salvage; limitation of liability; marine and energy insurance coverage issues; drafting and negotiating operating, drilling, construction and financing agreements; longshoring; maritime liens; vessel mortgages; towage; general average; collisions; tankering and personal injury and property damage claims.
Maritime/Offshore: providing legal counsel and critical communications for collisions, spills, explosions and other incidents that may or may not include personal injury, property damage or environmental hazard. We represent clients in the negotiation of a variety of marine vessel sales and vessel construction contracts for major shipyards, owners and operators. We arbitrate, mediate and litigate disputes associated with claims for oil pollution, charter parties, oil well liens, cargo loss or damage, salvage, limitation of liability, marine and energy insurance coverage issues, disputes arising from drilling, construction and financing agreements, federal compensation claims (USL&H), maritime liens, vessel mortgages, towage, general average, collisions and allisions, personal injury and death, property damage and economic loss.
Environmental: advising public entities, private businesses, and real estate developers on a broad array of issues arising under federal, state and local laws including air and water pollution control, hazardous waste management and disposal, waste water and storm water management, clean up of contaminated properties, facility siting and development, and air, water, waste and wetlands permitting. We also represent Potentially Responsible Parties at Superfund sites, and stake-holders in agency rule-making proceedings.
- As counsel to U.S. subsidiary of a large Japanese trading company, negotiated, documented and successfully closed $1.3 Billion acquisition of all of the deepwater Gulf of Mexico assets of Pioneer Natural Resources Company.
- Advised and assisted client owning offshore leases in obtaining a refund of $225 Million in overpaid royalties, plus interest thereon.
- Handled all phases of due diligence and acquisition of $88 Million producing gas fields in Northeast Texas.
- Negotiated in excess of 75 master service contracts, time charter agreements, helicopter contracts and related agreements for single client taking over operations of a producing field in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Negotiated and documented platform abandonment and rigs to reef disposal agreements for client with shallow water operations in Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented purchaser in all phases of East Texas refinery acquisition, which included corporate structuring, due diligence, negotiation of all relevant documents, a divisive merger, union and ERISA issues, EPA and TCEQ matters, crude oil supply contracts and pipeline access issues, and bridge financing.
- Assisted trust company owning partially submerged significant fee lands and producing mineral interests with sale thereof to oil and gas exploration company.
- Counsel for development and implementation of several natural gas depleted reservoir storage facilities, handling all regulatory, environmental, financing, and contractual aspects of the development phase as well as landowner leasing/contracts, rights of way, and eminent domain litigation related to the project. Also served as bond counsel for financing of construction and pad gas lease financing.
- Litigated and successfully obtained first condemnation confirmation and injunctive order from a state court of eminent domain against multiple property owners allowing a natural gas storage company to inject and store natural gas before the statutorily mandated fair value compensation hearing.
- Represented major and de minimis member clients in PRP groups at numerous state and federal Superfund sites.
- Assisted major retailer with environmental due diligence, environmental permitting, and compliance assurance in connection with national expansion effort.
- Represented numerous commercial landowners in dispute resolution and administrative proceedings concerning the release and migration of petroleum products and hazardous materials in all environmental media, and coordinated remedial process among various stake-holders.
- Provide ongoing environmental regulatory and compliance counseling to major municipality relating to its operation of three commercial airports, including advising regarding emissions reduction plans, greenhouse gas monitoring and reporting, Title V permitting, compliance audits, environmental management systems, storm water compliance, and remediation of bulk storage contamination.
- Successfully defended a major chemical company in defense of oilfield asbestos exposure claims.
- Defended interstate pipeline company against claims by multiple producers of a regulatory obligation to ratably take and pay for gas from all producers in high priced fields. Successfully obtained reversal of adverse Mississippi Oil and Gas Board Order on appeal to both Mississippi and U.S. Supreme Courts.
By choosing Adams and Reese, you gain a team active in industry organizations, respected by federal and state energy and environmental regulators and dedicated to sustaining a strong tradition of innovation and effectiveness in the U.S. energy industry.