Adams and Reese advises licensed entities and agents in the insurance industry on all matters before state insurance departments and the NAIC. Our experience on both sides of the insurance industry—enforcement and policymaking as well as industry counsel and defense—helps us leverage solutions with governing authorities that support a healthy insurance climate.
At Adams and Reese, our relationships and understanding of the political and regulatory climate of the insurance industry have assisted multiple insurers and agents with keeping their rights under the law and sustaining their businesses. The team has handled compliance issues in most southeastern states and some western states.
Our team has decades of experience representing insurers, reinsurers, state departments of insurance, managing general agents, agencies, and other insurance-related entities in all types of legal matters in multiple states. On our team is the former Commissioner of Insurance for the State of Louisiana who mobilized his office to process 950,000 claims and 6,000 complaints following Hurricane Katrina. Inviting senior claims officers to support the effort resulted in timely protection of citizens as well as stabilization of the state’s insurance industry.
Our experience includes the formulation of strategies to oppose undesirable legislation as well as development of model laws that extend to several states. If we must go to court, our attorneys have represented clients in some of the most technically challenging and precedent-setting cases.
Core Practice and Clients
Adams and Reese has earned credibility among insurance regulators for reasonable and fair representation. Our respectful approach to commissioners, administrative law and district court judges has resulted in positive outcomes for many clients—even when chances were slim.
- Licensing Issues: Obtaining certificates of authority, managing examinations, audits and regulatory disputes
- Industry Counsel: Leading efforts to protect a particular group from potentially harmful state or federal legislation as well as development of model laws for multistate issues
- Transactions: Assisting in the launch of new insurance enterprises, mergers and acquisitions, and approvals in multiple states
- Litigation: Including all aspects of alternative dispute resolution, litigation, arbitration and appeals and claims-related lawsuits
- Obtaining certificates of authority for insurers seeking to do business in Florida, Louisiana and Texas
- Reinstatement of certificates of authority in several states, including North Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi and California
- Formation of multiple insurers including property casualty insurers, insurance reciprocals and managing general agencies
- Serving as outside general counsel for two property casualty insurers and a medical negligence reciprocal
- Expanding a surplus line carriers’ authority to write on an admitted basis in Louisiana, South Carolina and Alabama
- Negotiating and writing multiple managing general agency contracts and agents' agreements
- Drafting policy and endorsement language for numerous types of property and casualty policies
- Drafting and negotiating numerous reinsurance treaties
- Representing the Florida Department of Insurance and the Florida Department of Financial Services in multiple disputes and lawsuits.
- Drafting and lobbying for various legislation relating to insurance, including excess profits, sinkhole, professional liability
- Representing insuring entities, managing general agents, administrative service companies, self-insurance funds, intermediaries and producers in obtaining regulatory consents and approvals
- Acting as United States coordinating counsel for a London Market insurer in more than 75 declaratory judgment actions throughout the United States involving asbestos, pollution and health hazard disputes between corporate insureds and excess insurance carriers
- Serving as Lead Counsel to the Mississippi Insurance Department in the establishment of the authority, financing and development of the Mississippi Health Insurance Exchange
- Assisting insurance companies with other matters involving licensing and compliance, and in preparing contracts between insurance companies, marketing entities, claims organizations and agents
- Assisting individual insurance producers and agencies with issues including licensing, compliance, contract disputes, responding to formal complaints filed with the state departments of insurance and preparing employment agreements between agencies and individual agents
The attorneys at Adams and Reese offer you a comprehensive level of service that comes from deep industry experience and a passion for a fair insurance climate.